Recent publications by members of the SREMI team (Nov 2021 - Oct 2022)
Geriatric EM (n=7)
- Lee JS, Tong T, Chignell M, Tierney MC, Goldstein J, Eagles D, Perry JJ, McRae A, Lang E, Hefferon D, Rose L, Kiss A, Borgundvaag B, McLeod S, Melady D, Boucher V, Sirois MJ, Émond M. Prevalence, management and outcomes of unrecognized delirium in a National Sample of 1,493 older emergency department patients: how many were sent home and what happened to them? Age Ageing. 2022 Feb 2;51(2):afab214.
- Lee JS. Necessary evil or systemic failure of care? Use of benzodiazepine and antipsychotic medications in older people seeking emergency department care. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2022 Mar;70(3):698-700.
- Lee S, Chen H, Hibino S, Miller D, Healy H, Lee JS, Arendts G, Han JH, Kennedy M, Carpenter CR. Can we improve delirium prevention and treatment in the emergency department? A systematic review. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2022 Jun;70(6):1838-1849.
- Sirois MJ, Carmichael PH, Daoust R, Eagles D, Griffith L, Lang E, Lee J, Perry JJ, Veillette N, Émond M; Canadian Emergency Team Initiative on Mobility in Aging. Functional Decline After Non-hospitalized Injuries in Older Patients: Results From the Canadian Emergency Team Initiative Cohort in Elders. Ann Emerg Med. 2022 Aug;80(2):154-164.
- Hwang U, Carpenter C, Dresden S, Dussetschleger J, Gifford A, Hoang L, Leggett J, Nowroozpoor A, Taylor Z, Shah M; GEAR* and GEAR 2.0** Networks. The Geriatric Emergency Care Applied Research (GEAR) network approach: a protocol to advance stakeholder consensus and research priorities in geriatrics and dementia care in the emergency department. BMJ Open. 2022 Apr 22;12(4):e060974.
- Ellis B, Brousseau AA, Eagles D, Sinclair D, Melady D; CAEP Writing Group. Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians position statement on care of older people in Canadian Emergency Departments: executive summary. CJEM. 2022 Jun;24(4):376-381.
- Schonnop R, Dainty KN, McLeod SL, Melady D, Lee JS. Understanding why delirium is often missed in older emergency department patients: a qualitative descriptive study. CJEM. 2022 Sep 22. doi: 10.1007/s43678-022-00371-4. Epub ahead of print
General EM (n=4)
- Aspler A, Wu A, Chiu S, Mohindra R, Hannam P. Towards quality assurance: implementation of a POCUS image archiving system in a high-volume community emergency department. CJEM. 2022 Mar; 24(2):219-223.
- Stickles SP, Kane DS, Kraus CK, Strony RJ, Ablordeppey EA, Doering MM, Theodoro D, Lee JS, Carpenter CR. Adverse events related to ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia performed by Emergency Physicians: Systematic review protocol. PLoS One. 2022 Jun 24; 17(6):e0269697. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0269697.
- Ibrahim T, Thompson C, Borgundvaag B, McLeod SL. Antibiotic prescribing and outcomes for patients with uncomplicated purulent skin and soft tissue infections in the emergency department. CJEM. 2022 Sep 27. doi: 10.1007/s43678-022-00366-1. Epub ahead of print.
- Sithamparapillai A, Grewal K, Thompson C, Walsh C, McLeod S. Intra-articular lidocaine versus intravenous sedation for closed reduction of acute anterior shoulder dislocation in the emergency department: a systematic review and meta-analysis. CJEM. 2022 Oct 1. doi: 10.1007/s43678-022-00368-z.
- Lin S, Ramadeen A, Sundermann ML, Dorian P, Fink S, Halperin HR, Kiss A, Koller AC, Kudenchuk PJ, McCracken BM, Mohindra R, Morrison LJ, Neumar RW, Niemann JT, Salcido DD, Tiba MH, Youngquist ST, Zviman MM, Menegazzi JJ. Establishing a multicenter, preclinical consortium in resuscitation: A pilot experimental trial evaluating epinephrine in cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2022 Jun; 175:57-63.
- Rennie O, Lin S, Mohindra R. Resuscitation meets precision medicine: Towards a model of patient-centered, perfusion-guided cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Resusc Plus. 2022 Oct 3; 12:100313. doi: 10.1016/j.resplu.2022.100313.
- Bery AK, Sharma M, Nemnom MJ, Johns P, Lelli DA, Sivilotti MLA, Émond M, Stiell IG, Stotts G, Lee J, Worster A, Morris J, Cheung KW, Jin AY, Oczkowski WJ, Sahlas DJ, Murray HE, Mackey A, Verreault S, Camden MC, Yip S, Teal P, Gladstone DJ, Boulos MI, Chagnon N, Shouldice E, Atzema C, Slaoui T, Teitelbaum J, Wells GA, Perry JJ. Risk of stroke is low after transient ischemic attack presentation with isolated dizziness. CJEM. 2022 Oct 19. doi: 10.1007/s43678-022-00391-0. Epub ahead of print.
- McRae AD, Hohl CM, Rosychuk R, Vatanpour S, Ghaderi G, Archambault PM, Brooks SC, Cheng I, Davis P, Hayward J, Lang E, Ohle R, Rowe B, Welsford M, Yadav K, Morrison LJ, Perry J; Canadian COVID-19 Emergency Department Rapid Response Network (CCEDRRN) investigators for the Network of Canadian Emergency Researchers and the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. CCEDRRN COVID-19 Infection Score (CCIS): development and validation in a Canadian cohort of a clinical risk score to predict SARS-CoV-2 infection in patients presenting to the emergency department with suspected COVID-19. BMJ Open. 2021 Dec 2;11(12):e055832.
- Izcovich A, Siemieniuk RA, Bartoszko JJ, Ge L, Zeraatkar D, Kum E, Qasim A, Khamis AM, Rochwerg B, Agoritsas T, Chu DK, McLeod SL, Mustafa RA, Vandvik P, Brignardello-Petersen R. Adverse effects of remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir when used for COVID-19: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. BMJ Open. 2022 Mar 2;12(3):e048502.
- Hohl CM, Hau JP, Vaillancourt S, Grant J, Brooks SC, Morrison LJ, Perry JJ, Rosychuk RJ; CCEDRRN investigators for the Network of Canadian Emergency Researchers and the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. Sensitivity and Diagnostic Yield of the First SARS-CoV-2 Nucleic Acid Amplification Test Performed for Patients Presenting to the Hospital. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Oct 3;5(10):e2236288.
ED Administration (n=3)
- Mondoux S, Hall JN, McLeod SL. Virtual emergency care: Decoupling the need for emergency services and expedited care. J Eval Clin Pract. 2022 Feb;28(1):10-12.
- Ovens H, Drummond A. Measuring crowding: I know it when I see it. CJEM. 2022 Jan;24(1):1-2.
- Hall JN, Ackery AD, Dainty KN, Gill PS, Lim R, Masood S, McLeod SL, Mehta SD, Nijmeh L, Rosenfield D, Rutledge G, Verma A, Mondoux S. Designs, facilitators, barriers, and lessons learned during the implementation of emergency department led virtual urgent care programs in Ontario, Canada. Front. Digit. Health 4:946734. doi: 10.3389/fdgth.2022.946734.
Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (n=3)
- Grewal K, Atzema CL, Austin PC, de Wit K, Sharma S, Mittmann N, Borgundvaag B, McLeod SL. Risk of intracranial hemorrhage between different direct oral anticoagulants in older patients seen in the emergency department with a head injury: A population-based cohort study. Thromb Res. Jun;214:47-52.
- Sage NL, Chauny JM, Berthelot S, Archambault P, Neveu X, Moore L, Boucher V, Frenette J, De Guise É, Ouellet MC, Lee J, McRae AD, Lang E, Émond M, Mercier É, Tardif PA, Swaine B, Cameron P, Perry JJ. Post-Concussion Symptoms Rule: Derivation and Validation of a Clinical Decision Rule for Early Prediction of Persistent Symptoms after a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurotrauma. 2022 Sep 9. doi: 10.1089/neu.2022.0026. Epub ahead of print.
- Liu S, McLeod SL, Atzema CL, Austin PC, de Wit K, Sharma S, Mittmann N, Borgundvaag B, Grewal K. Delayed intracranial hemorrhage after head injury among elderly patients on anticoagulation seen in the emergency department. CJEM. 2022 Oct 15. doi: 10.1007/s43678-022-00392-z. Epub ahead of print.
Early Pregnancy (n=3)
- Varner C, Leduc L, Pasquale J, Yee M, McLeod S, Morson N, Kaur J, Tunde-Byass M, Blakely K, Aditya I, Thomas J. Co-designing a web-based education platform for patients with early pregnancy loss. CJEM. 2022 Sep 15. doi: 10.1007/s43678-022-00384-z.
- Tunde-Byass M, Varner CE. Serum progesterone levels in the emergency department should not change the care of patients with first trimester bleeding. CJEM. 2022 Sep;24(6):559-560.
- Varner CE, Park AL, Ray JG. Prepregnancy Emergency Department Use and Risks of Severe Maternal and Neonatal Morbidity in Canada. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Sep 1;5(9):e2229532. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.29532.